jonwahrenberger

Dragon Medical One

For the medical provider seeking the best possible accuracy while doing medical dictation and not needing some of the extraneous features of the full Dragon Medical Practice Edition, you should have a look at Nuance’s cloud-based medical product – Dragon Medical One.

Although in existence for 3-4 years, this product was initially called “Dragon Direct”.  It’s based on an entirely different speech engine than the one used in DMPE2 and in many ways is medical speech recognition built from the ground up.  I’ve been using Dragon Medical One (and its predecessor) for several years now and with my home institution in New Hampshire switching to it a month or so ago, I am seeing how wonderfully the product is being received by medical providers.  In a nutshell, users are absolutely astounded at how good it is.

My take on DMO?  It is unequivocally the best speech recognition product out there.  I have used DMPE2 for years.  I have used the Medical Network Edition for years.  I have trialed Fluency Direct.  Dragon Medical One is far and away the most accurate and every bit as fast as the other. 

The most important reasons to consider switching to DMO are the following:

• Accuracy: Most accurate medical speech recognition available
  • Speed: Despite being on cloud, similar to prior Dragon versions in terms of speed
  • Cloud-based: Minimal impact on your computer, but the power of a massive server doing the work
  • Simplicity: Much greater simplicity compared to older versions of Dragon; no need for user reading or training; automatic adjustment of microphone volume; automatic detection of accents and dialects
  • Intuitive user interface
  • Automatically updates: You will always have the most current version.

These are some of the more detailed features:

• Small application size, facilitating quick installation and rapid updating
  • Auto-updating features
  • Highly level of accuracy (better than seen with traditional versions of NaturallySpeaking)
  • Speed almost identical to that seen in the full Dragon Medical Practice client-side software
  • No need for user training
  • Automatic adjustment for user accent and dialect
  • Automatic microphone gain adjustment
  • Seamless integration with a variety of microphones including the PowerMic III, Philips SpeechMike Premium, and others. If your operating system sees it, DMO can use it!
  • Availability of versions for use with applications on a local computer and for virtualized (Citrix based) applications; both versions are included with a subscription
  • Ability to create text commands (“Auto-Texts”) to allow insertion of large segments of pre-defined text with a single verbal command
  • Ability to create step-by-step commands for computer control and other complex tasks
  • Full “text control” to allow navigation, selection, and correction of text
  • Unique ability to anchor upon a document and place dictated text in this document even when computer focus has changed
Compatibility:

The list of compatible windows, applications and electronic records with which Dragon Medical One is constantly growing. Here is a quick list as of October of 2017:

Text Entry Windows:

• TX TextControl .NET for Windows Forms in versions 17, X8, X9, X10, X11, X12 and X13
  • TX TextControl .NET for Windows Forms in versions 17, X8, X9, X10, X11, X12 and X13 when embedded in 64-bit applications

General Applications:

Electronic Health Records:

• AthenaClinicals
  • interWORKS
  • Azalea EHR
  • Better Day™ Health
  • PrognoCIS
  • Care Thread
  • PowerChart Touch
  • Cerner Millenium
  • Cerner RadNet
  • Clario Smart Worklist