jonwahrenberger

Product Review:  LiveMIC2

Turn any microphone into a wireless mic

Forum members may be interested to learn of a new device which can add flexibility to your use of speech recognition software.  The LiveMIC2, a wireless mic and transmitter made by Alead Inc, is on the market and has some interesting characteristics which might make it worthy of your consideration:

1.  Wirelessly connects with any Bluetooth equipped computer (Mac or PC), mobile device, speaker, or sound system
  2. Includes on-board unidirectional and omnidirectional mics
  3. Contains an “external mic jack” to allow connection of any analog headset
  4. Not much bigger than your thumb, charges in 2 hours, 8-hours of talk time, 100 hours of standby time, and a 66 ft. range

While the initial draw of this product was the ability to turn any analog headset mic into a wireless microphone, it can also be combined with a short, snub nosed microphone such as the SpeechWare TabletMike to make it a well performing hand-held mic small enough to fit in your breast pocket.

LiveMIC2Options_w450.jpg 

Here are a few of the LiveMIC2 features:

• Bluetooth connection using A2DP, Headset and Handsfree profiles
  • Two on-board microphones – one configured as an omnidirectional mic (broad range of pick-up) and one set-up to be used as a unidirectional (narrow range of pick-up) mic.  Both are very sensitive.
  • Use of broad-band Bluetooth audio which spans the range of usual voice frequencies
  • Use of advanced technology to minimize latency (almost no detectable delay and no echo)
  • External microphone jack for attachment of most common microphones using a 3.5 mm jack
  • User selectable microphone gain control
  • Charging using included mini-USB cable which can access power via any USB charger or available USB port
  • Two user-selectable pairing modes including Type A (audio receivers, speakers, PA systems and headphones) and Type B (iPhones, iPads, Android phones, other smartphones, tables, personal computers (Windows and Mac)
  • Control to allow mic muting
  • Hinged clip for attachment to shirt, or laptop lid
  • Included lapel microphone

The figure below gives you a good picture of the LiveMIC2 functionalities:

LiveMIC2_w400.jpg 

Specifications:

• Rechargeable Li-Polymer battery with up to 8 hours of talk time and 100 hrs of standby time
  • Size: 5.5 cm x 2.8 cm x 1.7 cm (LxWxD)
  • Weight: 21 gm (0.8 oz)
  • Mic frequency range:  50-20KHz; sensitivity 55dB± 2dB
  • Charging: using included USB to micro-USB cable; 2 hrs to maximum charge
  • Wireless range:  up to 20m (66 ft.)
  • Supported Bluetooth profiles:  Headset, Handsfree and A2DP

Included in the box:

• Transmitter
  • Charging cable (length about 2 ft.)
  • Accessory lapel microphone
  • User Guide

Links:

A few closing comments:

1.  I was surprised at the simplicity and functionality of this device.  Set-up with a compatible Bluetooth device takes only a few minutes.  It works beautifully with a range of products.  After paring it with my MacBook Pro running Windows 10 via Bootcamp, I find it connects without fail whenever both are on and in range. I have tested it with a variety of Andrea analog mics, Audio Technica 8HEmW, SpeechWare TabletMike, SpeechWare FlexyMike DEC, SpeechWare SEC, Sennheiser ME3.  In fact, I have not tested it with a microphone with which it didn’t work fine.  The onboard microphone is entirely usable and accurate in a noise -free environment, but I recommend a more substantial external microphone for the best results.  I have used it with Dragon Medical Network Edition, Dragon Medical One, and Dragon Professional 15 Group – it seems to work perfectly in all software environments.
  2. Bluetooth products come with issues, including potential latency (delay in transmission of signal), slower sampling rates, and connection issues.  This having been said, I haven’t experienced these issues with the LiveMIC2.  I’ve connected it to my MacBook Pro, a work-station running Windows 10, an older work station for which I had to use an accessory dongle to add Bluetooth, my iPhone and my iPad (yes, I’m an Apple geek) and with each it connected simply and worked perfectly.  Seeing is believing, so if you want to see and hear the LiveMIC2 in action, check out the demos in the links above.
  3. No item is perfect.  Here is a short list of what I consider downsides of the LiveMIC2:
    1. On some levels, I wish there was an alternative with a dedicated dongle that would allow bypassing the Bluetooth driver issues … or perhaps the ability to use a pre-paired mini-dongle OR a separate Bluetooth device.  Maybe someone will make such a device? 
    2. The buttons are small
    3. We wish there was a dedicated mute button that would respond with a single click.  In the current arrangement, it takes a several second push of the gain-down button to mute the mic.  This is too slow.  Thankfully, only a single push of the gain up button releases the mute.
Jon W. Wahrenberger, MD
Speech Recognition Solutions
http://www.SpeechRecSolutions.com

Add a Website Forum to your website.